Thursday, April 4, 2013

Language Learning

As a poet, language is obviously very important to me.  What you, how you say it, and what words you use help to convey your point to your audience.  I like language, which is funny because it wasn't my favorite thing in school.  As I get older, I understand the importance of mastering the English language. With that being said, I think it is also important, not to mention useful, to learn a second language.  For me, that language is Deutsch (German).  Why German?  My kids are learning it and I can't let them out do me!  No, for real, I can't let them out do me.  So, German it is.
German is actually kind of cool.  Sure, it sounds a bit weird to the untrained ear, but it's not that different from English.  Surprisingly, it is closer to English than Spanish or French!  Some of the words in German are even the same as English, just spelled differently.  Examples:

  • Tea vs Tee
  • Beer vs Bier
Anyway, since I'm cheap, i'm trying to learn without spending huge sums of money on books and classes.  I was fortunate to stumble on DuoLingo.  I found the app first, but there is also a website to go along with it and the program is great.  In about a month, I have increased my knowledge of German by 100% (granted, my knowledge was nill to begin with, but that's beside the point).  DuoLingo helps you learn the language through sight, sound, reading, decoding, and recently through speaking.  It's worth a try.  So go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment